1. How I . . .
2. How You Can . . .
3. 10 Tips to . . .
4. 5 Ways Your . . .
5. How to . . .
6. The (Strong Descriptive Noun)’s Guide to . . .
7. Scared to . . . ?
8. Finding . . .
9. This Is Not . . .
10. Don’t . . .
Strong, strong words. Don’t dilly-dally with anything weaker. Don’t waste your reader’s time or the bandwidth. If you’ve got the space, use it. Power it up. Make people look twice (if that’s your personality), make people curious (my personality), offer sound advice and solutions (also my personality), and above all, be confident, be the expert, talk about what is in your book or what you’ve learned from that book. It’s all about perception.
1. Don’t start out with “My Favorite Things About . . . “ It’s overused and unless you can spice it up by saying: “How I Was Scared to Death by . . . ” or something like that, you’re not being perceived as interesting. You’re a bit boring.
2. Don’t overly promote. If all people read on your blog is “Buy my book! Buy my book!” they won’t come back. They have patience around a launch, but shut up about it and talk about the book themes and be interesting now. Give them a reason to want to buy the book. Put a link on the sidebar to an Indie bookstore or Amazon. They’ll find it.
3. Put your picture on the blog as well as your book cover. People want to see you too.
4. Set up an RSS feed so you can have people subscribe by email or Google reader. Seriously, don’t you want people to follow what you write? Give them an opportunity to do so.
5. Start an email list (this is separate from an email RSS subscription). You run this away from your blog, using Aweber or Madmimi or Constant Contact. (I use Aweber.) Do it NOW. Every agent I know is talking about how their authors are going to start a mailing list this year. Jump in; the water’s fine.
Got some ideas? Good!
This is the end of the month. Tomorrow, we’ll be talking list-building tactics (see #5 above) for the entire month of February! If my blog posts don’t convince you, perhaps you’ll buy my book coming out in March on the subject. Stay tuned!